Obviously, you can use whatever nuts you like here — or whatever seeds, if you like.
This simple recipe consists of coarsely chopped walnuts with pumpkin seeds. That's the beauty of this granola. It doesn't have to be fancy to show off. For optimal nutrition, combine your nuts and seeds at the very end to keep them "raw."
- 2 cups rolled oat
- 2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup hemp or chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
Preheat the oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).
In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, almond butter, applesauce, vanilla, and cinnamon. Incorporate the rest of the ingredients.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread the mixture evenly and bake in the oven center for 25 minutes, stirring very lightly.
Serve ½ cup of granola per person with a dairy substitute of your choice.
- For loose granola: combine the dry ingredients, then combine the wet ingredients, and finally combine dry and wet; spread everything out on a baking sheet, bake in the oven, add the dried fruits at the end (because some pieces can be close to combustion).
- For cluster granola: add the dried fruit at the beginning. Stir the flax mucilage well, cook the granola at a lower temperature (which helps ensure that the dried fruits do not burn), and then let it cool in the oven off to allow it to have a crispy finish and clump together. Do not stir the granola — or do it very lightly — while it's cooking; otherwise, the clumps will break.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven for better cooking.
- To make the middle of the granola mixture golden and crisp without the edges scorching, spread it out on the baking sheet with a hole in the middle.
- STORAGE: This granola will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg